Friday, March 26, 2010

16 years, same speech contest.

Last night I judged a speech contest for the 11th straight year. I also competed in the contest giving speeches in many different categories for the previous 5 years. 16 years total every year at this time, I've either been dressed in the Blue & Gold or sat listening to proud members sporting the Blue & Gold.
Some topics have changed, others have gotten more in depth, but it still the same colors. The chairs have gotten smaller though!
In the past either my dad skipps out on the judging and hangs out with his grandson, that just breaks his heart by the way, or my aunt has kepted him busy for the few hours I've judged. This year because my grandmother had triple bypass surgery the day before the big contest, most of the family was tied up. I have a younger cousin fresh on 16 years of age and very close to getting her drivers license though. She and Squirt get along wonderfully so I asked her to watch him. Just so happen's her dad is my boss so she just rode home with me. I stopped got cash to pay her and dinner for the pair.j
Quick instructions and I was leaving my house to be educated and mean. I'm usually a pretty hard judge.
I heard a variety of agriculture policy speeches. A couple I was suprised on the stances the individuals took, but was proud they were passionate about the topic of their speech and were not to be swayed by leading questions to the other side of the issue.
I got back to my house later than anticipated. I appreciated my cousin and her ability to entertain and watch out for my son but felt bad that it made a late night getting her home.
I loaded them both back in my van and my son lasted mere blocks before he sacked out. Guess my cousin wore him out.


 
I'm trying to post a blog more regularly. I took this a few days ago but because I didn't have much of an opportunity to pull out the camera yesterday I thought I'd post it. The shot makes me sneeze at the moment just looking at it. I can feel the allergy pressure building!! My son loves to pick flowers for his momma, and his "just" grandma and his great grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment