Monday, March 9, 2009

Papa




My papa collapsed Christmas Day, 2007 from an aneurysm that caused a heart attack. He was "piddling" in the garage alone after a big meal. No one knows for sure how long he was down before someone found him. He was taken by ambulance to a local hosptial and later life flighted to a bigger hospital where he had an operation a few days later to relieve the pressure of the aneurysm. He stayed in the hospital till nearly March, 2008. He's had a long road of recovery. My grandmother has had it just as hard. There's been some really bad nights and days for them. They've recently switched doctors and meds for parkinsons. He's been doing so much better. They've ordered a motorized wheel chair for his bad days, which thankfully are fewer recently. They've also installed a ramp and made necessary adjustments to their house. The closed the pool.
I think they've been hit hardest by selling their boat and fifth wheel. They traveled and fished a lot. There were some summers they were gone more than they were home. I know they miss that terribly.
I'm thankful for every day I have with Papa, even if there have been days I'm not sure MY Papa was even behind the cloudy sad eyes.
Be blessed to have the loved ones in your life!
The photos are very recent ones of Papa and it actually reminds me of MY Papa! He was bossin' everyone on how the fence around the pool should be taken down. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I so remember when my grandpa wasn't doing well. To this day I cherish every moment I had with him b4 he passed. Aren't Papa's the best every. Who would have thought even our little guys would already be attached to theirs. It's amazing to see him light up around Papa. I wonder if that's what we did as kids with our own Papa's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree. Enjoy every moment you have. They will be gone too soon! For your son too! He won't forget the memories either!

    ReplyDelete